About Me

My photo
I was a Media Studies major at UNCG. My hobbies are reading science fiction/fantasy books, reading fanfiction, watching TV and movies. This is the second blog that I have worked on. An Invisible Point of View was started as a project for my MST 222 Internet & Society class.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

America in the Potterverse

First post in over a year.  Yeah, not surprised.  School has a habit of taking over your life.  I want to talk about one of my favorite book and movie series -- Harry Potter.  I have read every book at least once, although, I tried to reread all of them but school gets in the way.  I have watched and own all eight films.  I was a Beta tester for Pottermore.  I'm a Slytherin, by the way.  This is kind of funny, considering that all of my friends would peg me as a Ravenclaw.   As much as I love Harry Potter, there are a few things that bother me.  One of which I will discuss below.

Ever since I read the Harry Potter series, I was curious as to how things would work in the United States in J.K. Rowling's wizarding world.  I think the American wizarding government would be an executive department in the federal government, much like the State Department or Department of the Treasury.  The Department of Magic would be headed by the Secretary of Magic.  I would imagine it would be set in Washington, D.C.  I would hope that most American witches and wizards would follow the laws (at least, most of them).

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry educated the majority of witches and wizards in Britain and Ireland.  However, parents could decide to homeschool or send their children to foreign wizarding schools.  At least, that was until Voldemort's temporary takeover during the 1997-1998 school year.  The only other schools that are mentioned are Beaubatons Academy of Magic in southern France, the Durmstrang Institute which is located either in Norway or Sweden, a school in Brazil where Bill's pen pal went, Mahoutokoro in Japan, the Salem Witches' Institute in the United States, and the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts, which was most likely located in Great Britain.

Due to the large size of the US and its population, I would imagine that the Salem Witches' Institute is one of a few wizarding schools that are divided by region.  Due to the name, it is more than likely that it is set in Salem, Massachusetts, the site of the infamous witch trials.  It would be for students living in the North or Northeastern United States.  It may be an all-girls school or it could be a coed school that was originally for witches.  Due to the conspiracy theories, a school could be set in or around Roswell, New Mexico or Area 51 in Nevada for students in the Western or Southwestern United States.  A Southeastern school could be set in or near New Orleans, Louisiana due to the practice of Voodoo by some Louisiana Creoles, such as Marie Laveau and her daughter.  I am not sure if residents of Alaska and Hawaii would go to a school in the continental US or a school in a neighboring country, such as Canada for Alaska.  I believe there would be some focus on liberal arts and a foreign language requirement, in addition to magical courses for the US wizarding educational system.

As for magical sports, Quidditch is still played but Quodpot is more popular.  There is a national Quidditch team and league.  The Fitchburg Finches from Massachusetts and the Sweetwater All-Stars from Texas are two notable American Quidditch teams.

Note: Some information is obtained from the Harry Potter Wiki, while the rest of this is based on my own thoughts after researching forums where others have discussed the same issues.  I encourage comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews